Saturday, October 15, 2005

Maybe It's Just Me

Maybe it's just me, but is there nothing worth watching on TV these days? I tried giving the new shows a try, but got little or no entertainment out of any of it. I had an english teacher who used to say that true entertainment had three tasks: entertain, educate and inspire. I've carried this around for years and apply it to everything from movies and music to TV and comic books. The new shows this season, thus far, have missed the mark.

There was no way I was going to watch the new Night Stalker. I grew up on the original. It would be like remaking Nightgallery. There are just some things you don't do! But, flipping through the channels, I came across it and the only reason I stuck around was because I saw Gabrielle Union on it! MeeeooooooooooW!
Ah-hem, sorry. Anyway, aside from the delovely Ms. Union's presence, there was nothing remarkable about this show.


Supernatural is another in the long list of, well, supernatural thrillers out there clogging the airwaves. All I can say about this one is, at least it's not a remake of Night Stalker. And although there was no Gabrielle Union to be found, we find two brothers carrying on in their demon-slaying father's footsteps. Wasn't there a show like this back in the 80s or something? It seems to me there was a rash of supernatural shows back in the 80s and what they lacked in SPFX, they made up for in plot. The same can't be said for Supernatural.

I gave Surface a shot and really wanted to like it, but here's what I got out of it. Single mom saves the world from the Beast from 20,000 Phathoms. If you haven't seen this one yet, you can probably catch it on Lifetime pretty soon.

So, if you want my advice on what to watch this fall season, stick to your video stores. At least there you can rent the original Night Stalker.


No comments: