Monday, November 28, 2005

The Stormtroopers Are Comin'!

Well, my first Mid-Ohio Con has come and gone and, I gotta say, aside from the drive there and back, it was a blast. I met a lot of really cool people, picked up some great comics (which I'll be reviewing later over at my other blog) and ate a great hunk of steak for supper. Seriously, I wasn't hungry till about eleven a.m. the next day. I guess this is the last time the convention will be held at the Columbus Hilton, which is a shame because it's a beautiful hotel.

I ran into a lot of familiar faces and met a lot of new people. Columbus is an awesome city. Too bad the weather sucked. It would've been fun to do a little exploring like Nik and I did when we went to S.P.A.C.E. earlier this year.

There were, of course, losts of folks in costume. Batman, Superman and Aquaman were the obvious expectations (well, maybe not Aquaman) but it seemed the most popular costume this year was Stormtroopers. Oh, my God! There were so many Stormtroopers, I was beginning to think we were being invaded!

The list of folks I'd like to give props too is virtually endless, but I'll give it a try: Peter David for Psi-Man, Matt Feazell for the groovy Batman sketch, Tom Scioli for carrying on the tradition of "The King," Craig Bogart, Margot Kidder, Mike Imboden, Uko Smith for not being our neighbor, Dave Nestler's model (& Kelly Connelly look-alike) Nicole for stopping by the Pickle Press table and turning us into drooling idoits, Steve Harrison for all the free comics, Art Baltazar because he's so polite, all the guys from S.P.A.C.E. whose names I can't recall just yet, Green Lantern, Soloman Grundy, Catowman (this one might end up a pin-up) and Stuart Sayger. If I forgot anybody and you're reading this blog, I apologize.

I did some pretty cool sketches (if I do say so myself). This guy is probably my biggest fan. All he wanted was two Marvel characters clashing and I'd just picked up an old copy of The Eternals where Ikarus fights an automoton of the Hulk, so it was meant to be. I've done a bunch of sketches for him, including a giant headless Mysterio, and I still don't even know his name. I've discovered "good girls" don't sell, but "bad girls" are like chum for sharks. This "devil woman" I did for the fun of it was gone in about an hour. As it turns out, the buyer has a collection of "devil girls," including one of the Powerpuff Girls in a devil costume. Die-hard indy comics fans will probably recognise Pam Bliss in the background. More sketches and pictures will be posted later as soon as Nik and Dwayne download/develope them and send 'em to me.

Sorry, no "Hot Girls with Candy" this time.

A good time was had by all!

No comments: