Sunday, April 02, 2006

Warning! Shameless Workspace Plug!


I don't know about you, but I love sneaking peeks into an artist's workspace, to see what they have around them when they create. I always feel a weird sense of satisfaction when I recognise something sitting on a shelf. I also wonder if their work area is always as clean as it is in the picture and if my workspace is any indication, there's a reason we take pictures of them. Who can work in an uncluttered workspace? I had a teacher in high school who had a sign on his desk that read "A Clean Desk Is The Sign of A Sick Mind."
So, here it is, my own little corner of the house. I thought it'd be fun to give a shameless guided tour, so here goes:
The poster is a gift from my wife. Yeah, I'm into dragons & wizards. This one's by Richard Kelly, not to be confused with the director of Donnie Darko. To the right is a Goreyesque Bill "Inkslinger" Wilkison original. I saw it on his website and had to have it. Along the shelf, under my Frazetta Battlestar Galactica print, stand Beta Ray Bill, Green Arrow, Tars Tarkis, Frank (of Donnie Darko) and a photo of my late nephew Evan painting a picture for his grandma. Yes, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you, that's King Moonracer from the Island of Misfit Toys standing proudly at the base of my lamp. It once belonged to Arissa. I like to think it's her way of watching me work.
So there you have it. Did it all seem a bit pointless? Well, it's supposed to. It's a blog, for cryin' out loud!
Keep it here, boppers...

1 comment:

The Inkslinger said...

I am touched an honored to share the space with such artists as Kelly and Frazetta and what would our world be without a talisman to guide us. Arissa is with us all! That is a brave thing to show your workshop. I've done before but there is something about what I am doing now that needs to be protected. Pre-print jitters I reckon. If you think I'm cleaning this smurf up to tak a picture you got another thing coming. If I doed it, you get to see it in all it's untamed glory.