Friday, March 30, 2007

Girl Power!

In the few years that I've been "doing" the convention scene, I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting some pretty awesome folks, some of whom I'm now able to call my friends.
Aside from being one of my all-time favorite pin-up artists, Jay Fife is one of the nicest people I've met in my conventioning experience. Not to mention one of the most patient people I've ever met. Awhile back, when I first met Jay, he had me do a sketch of Hawkgirl for his daughter, a burgeoning comic book fan discovering the positive female roles in comics. Since then, I've drawn a few more for her.
One thing that always gets me about drawing for Jay and his daughter is that he actually asks me to draw these girls, especially if you've ever seen his work. When I told him this, his reply was something like, "Let me put it to you this way. She doesn't ask me to draw them." I guess that's one of the best compliments I've ever got.
About a year ago, he'd asked me to draw Supergirl for her, which I did but somehow managed to forget to mail to him. See what I mean about patient?
As it's closing in on the date for the big Motor City Comicon, I promised Jay in an email that I'd bring that Supergirl sketch for him. He asked if I'd mind doing another one in the meantime. Like most kids today, his daughter is into the Cartoon Network's version of the Teen Titans. Terra and Starfire are among her favorites, so...
...the above picture of Terra sits in my "take everywhere" portfolio alongside Supergirl.
Keep it here, poppers.

No comments: