Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Frank Springer, R.I.P.


Anybody who spends more than ten minutes talking to me about comics knows what a huge influence on me Frank Springer is and sadly, I've just learned of his passing. Springer, a prolific comics artist for such strips as "Terry and the Pirates" and "Rex Morgan, M.D.," died Thursday at his home in Damariscotta, Maine. He was 79. His work in comic books is unequaled, maybe not in volume, but style. From "Invaders," to "Dazzler" to "Luke Cage, Hero For Hire," Springer's style is as easily recognizable as Jack Kirby's, Steve Ditko's and John Byrne's. Although you'll never hear me claim to hold a candle to the guy, Springer's artistic style, use of black and ability to cram so much into each panel are a few things for which I strive thanks to him. I never had the chance to meet him, but I feel the loss of something great in the world with his passing, perhaps it's the last shred of comic book innocence, that books don't have to be all dark, moody and full of t&a. He'll be missed but his legend will live on.

No comments: