Sunday, May 29, 2016

Down The Drain


"La da di, la da da, la da daaa
Singing in the shower
La da di, la da da, la da daaa
Singing in the shower..."

So goes the chorus of Becky G's song "Shower," and so goes any hope for lyrical content in pop music as we know it.  Now, before you ask, "Who the hell is Becky G?" that's part of my point.  And before you say, "Has pop music ever had lyrical content?" consider these two aspects: "Shower," came out in 2014 and I had to remind you it was a thing.  "Carry On Wayward Son," by Kansas, came out four decades ago, spent 20 weeks on Billboard Magazine's Top 100 chart, where it peaked at number 11, everyone, even my 78 year old father has heard it, and it contained lyrics such as...

"Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man,
Well, it surely means that I don't know..."

Plus, you will never see Sam and Dean Winchester driving off in their big, black '67 Chevy Impala blasting Becky G's "Shower."  If that ever were to happen, it certainly would end my 14 year old daughter's obsession with "Supernatural."

No comments: