Wednesday, May 09, 2007

"Hollywood Heroes" Update #5!

Something occur ed to me this afternoon while working on concept drawings for Hollywood Heroes. I've never considered this book to be anything but a black & white comic book to keep it in the vein of the old Saturday morning serial of the 1930s & 40s. While designing a character, I kind of have an idea of what color they'd be "in reality," but I've never considered, until working on Jack Hart, the All American Hero, what their colors would look like in black & white.
Confused? There's more. Now I'm considering gray tones for the book. I've always figured, most cases, gray tones overpower the artwork too much. I'm not knockin' gray tone artists, but sometimes editors/writers/the-powers-that-be allow them to flex their skills and sometimes the two don't mesh. The task I'm now considering is finding a gray tone artist that I think will work well with my style (such as it is). That, or do it myself. The trick I'm imposing on myself is making the grays look like movie grays and not artist strokes.

In the meantime, while I toil over it, enjoy a little comparison and let me know what you think.

No comments: